Thursday 3 September 2009

what shall i do on my day off?


once upon a time when i was employed or at university (sometimes both) this would have been a question on which i would ponder over and over in my mind quite frequently. when you're at work you wish you weren't... the question of "what shall i do on my day off?" although deceptively simple is filled with enormous implications.

going back in time to when i used to work as a doormat at a certain-massive-fashion-retail-store-which-will-remain-anonymous the question appeared in my head more or less every four to six seconds of every day. as more and more of the management and customers alike walked over me and trampled my dreams of life beyond the white noise of a day at work, my plans for my day off began to have more and more implications.

if i felt drained or tired that week then the best option on my day off could potentially be to stay in bed or cosy up on the sofa with a dvd boxset (gossip girl, satc, partridge... i could take my pick). but then the implications of that would be that i would have wasted my day off so obviously the next option would be to get up off my lazy bum and do something.

doing something could entail shopping, seeing friends, perhaps visiting an art gallery or going for a picnic. what i would then choose to do would be dependent on what kind of day i have off. weekday? weekend? holiday? and then the implications continue...

but then of course i would often realise that, on my day off, i would have lots and lots of admin-esque things that i would need to catch up. which if i left them would build up and if i did then would take up half of my precious day off. so what's the point?

the implications and decisive paths i could take were enormous but usually i would end up procrastinating and feel even more pessimistic when i went back to work.

the hilarity of it is now that i'm unemployed and not at uni or really have much responsibility in my life... i have loads of time in which to do things. but now i find that i rarely do that much, or if i do i don't really tend to notice it so much. and that question no longer fills my head as it used to.

instead i'm more likely to think: "i can't wait to get back to work."

but at least i've got the time to make ample amounts of tea and fish finger sandwiches.



No comments:

Post a Comment